How much do you know about English places? Take our England Geography Quiz below to find out.
For each statement, choose which of the four options is being described.
(Answers at bottom of page):
English Places Quiz
1. I am a small island off the South West coast of Cornwall, famous for its gulf stream heated water.
Isle of Man
Isles of Scilly
Isle of Wight
Isle of Skye
2. I used to be England’s most dreaded prison. Former inmates include Elizabeth I, Anne Boleyn and Rudolf Hess.
Tower Of London
3. I am a city whose residents are known as Geordies.
4. I am a museum based in a former power station on the Thames in London. I opened in the year 2000.
National Portrait Gallery
5. I am a northern university city, whose cathedral home is to the tomb of the Venerable Bede.
6. I am a county containing the towns of Chelsford, Southend On Sea and Colchester
7. I am a naval vessel moored next to Tower Bridge in London. I am open to the public.
8. I am England’s longest river.
9. I am a county, famous for its cider, whose main town is Taunton.
10. I am a city on the Humber Estuary in the East Riding Of Yorkshire.
11. I am a seaside resort on the south coast. I am the setting for a Graham Greene novel whose title contains my name.
12. I am a suburb of London, famous for its observatory and naval history.
13. I am a London palace, now home to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
St James Palace
14. I am a Yorkshire coastal town and the home of James Cook who ‘discovered’ Australia for the British.
15. I am the highest mountain in England.
16. I am a London museum containing the Rosetta Stone, used to decipher Egyptian Hieroglyphics.
Natural History Museum
Victoria & Albert Museum
17. I am the most southerly point in England.
The Needles, Isle Of Wight
18. I am a suburb of London where England’s Rugby Union team is based.
19. I am the name of a college in both Oxford and Cambridge.
20. I am England’s most northerly town, whose local member of parliament recently called to be made part of Scotland.
- Isles of Scilly
- Tower Of London
- Tate Modern
- HMS Belfast
- The Severn
- Kensington Palace
- Scarfell Pike
- British Museum
- Lizard Point
- St Johns