This post was most recently updated on November 19th, 2018
How well do you know the places of England?
For each of the following, an English place is being described – which of the 4 options is correct?
1. I am a small island off the South West coast of Cornwall, famous for its gulf stream heated water.
- Isle of Man
- Isles of Scilly
- Isle of Wight
- Isle of Skye
Answer: Isles of Scilly
2. I used to be England”s most dreaded prison. Former inmates include Elizabeth I, Anne Boleyn and Rudolf Hess.
- Tower Of London
- Wormwood Scrubs
Answer: Tower Of London
3. I am a city whose residents are known as Scousers.
4. I am a museum based in a former power station on the Thames in London. I opened in the year 2000.
- Tate Gallery
- National Portrait Gallery
- Tate Modern
- Science Museum
Answer: Tate Modern
5. I am a northern university city, whose cathedral home is to the tomb of the Venerable Bede.
6. I am a county containing the towns of Chelsford, Southend On Sea and Colchester
7. I am a naval vessel moored next to Tower Bridge in London. I am open to the public.
- HMS Belfast
- HMS Cardiff
- HMS London
- HMS Edinburgh
Answer: HMS Belfast
8. I am England”s longest river.
- The Severn
- The Thames
- The Trent
- The Humber
Answer: The Severn
9. I am a county, famous for its cider, whose main town is Taunton.
10. I am a city on the Humber Estuary in the East Riding Of Yorkshire.
11. I am a seaside resort on the south coast. I am the setting for a Graham Greene novel whose title contains my name.
12. I am a suburb of London, famous for its observatory and naval history.
13. I am a London palace, now home to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
- Kensington Palace
- Clarence House
- St James Palace
- Buckingham Palace
Answer: Kensington Palace
14. I am a Yorkshire coastal town and the home of James Cook who “discovered” Australia for the British.
15. I am the highest mountain in England.
- Scarfell Pike
- Ben Nevis
Answer: Scarfell Pike
16. I am a London museum containing the Rosetta Stone, used to decipher Egyptian Hieroglyphics.
- Natural History Museum
- Science Museum
- Victoria & Albert Museum
- British Museum
Answer: British Museum
17. I am the most southerly point in England.
- Lands End
- Lizard Point
- The Needles, Isle Of Wight
- John OGroats
Answer: Lizard Point
18. I am a suburb of London where England”s Rugby Union team is based.
19. I am the name of a college in both Oxford and Cambridge.
- St Johns
Answer: St Johns
20. I am England”s most northerly town, whose local member of parliament recently called to be made part of Scotland.